Setup for Pioneer development

I did a little development while on holiday for a FOSS game I like, called Pioneer.

I wanted to carry on when I got back, so I set about creating a dev environment for it. Here are my notes on that.

IDE

First I got Eclipse.

Then I enabled C++ development using CDT.

Lua

Pioneer is heavily Lua-driven. Since I’d be doing a lot of editing in this scripting language, I went looking for a tool. The most mature one that I could find after a short search was Koneki Lua.

Getting the code

I cloned my fork of Pioneer into a directory named ‘pioneer’. This gave me a folder structure of ‘../pioneer/pioneer/…’. I could open the parent pioneer folder as an Eclipse workspace, leaving the files inside pioneer/pioneer unpolluted by Eclipse’s files.

Building the project

I ran

./bootstrap

and

./configure

to set up the code project. Building was done from within Eclipse.

The project was imported into Eclipse as a makefile project (./configure generates a bunch of makefiles).

I used the following make command to spread build between my 4 cores, leaving one to handle everything else when a build is running:

make -j 3

This was set in Eclipse in Project>C/C++ Build>Builder Settings

Wine & Skyrim on Linux Mint

I spent some time trying out Wine today on my linux mint box. For the first time, I’ve managed to get Windows Steam to run, and downloaded & installed Skyrim.

Using Wine version 1.7.8 seems to be working. Earlier versions caused a crash in the main function of the Steam app after it updated.


Argh! My eyes! Skyrim boots & runs with sound; unfortunately there are 2 problems:

  1. Rendering using amd-catalyst-13.11-beta V9.4-linux-x86.x86_64 driver doesn’t update the view frame buffer half the time, leaving flickery blocks everywhere.
  2. The mouse is still constrained by the screen – impossible to turn the character around 360 degrees – can barely rotate 180 degrees!

This is me having fun.


Update:

Installed Wine x86 1.7.9 (probably unrelated), and by accident, swapped workspaces. Ctrl + Alt + right, followed by Ctrl + Alt + left caused the 3D pipeline to start rendering properly. I don’t know enough about X11 to understand why the window manager decides now is a good time to stop redrawing the background over the 3D canvas (at least, that’s what the visual mess looked like).

There are still some problems with key recognitions, and on a Sapphire HD7700 with 1GB, the frame rate is unacceptable unless things are turned way down.