I did a little development while on holiday for a FOSS game I like, called Pioneer.
I wanted to carry on when I got back, so I set about creating a dev environment for it. Here are my notes on that.
First I got Eclipse.
Then I enabled C++ development using CDT.
Pioneer is heavily Lua-driven. Since I’d be doing a lot of editing in this scripting language, I went looking for a tool. The most mature one that I could find after a short search was Koneki Lua.
Getting the code
I cloned my fork of Pioneer into a directory named ‘pioneer’. This gave me a folder structure of ‘../pioneer/pioneer/…’. I could open the parent pioneer folder as an Eclipse workspace, leaving the files inside pioneer/pioneer unpolluted by Eclipse’s files.
Building the project
to set up the code project. Building was done from within Eclipse.
The project was imported into Eclipse as a makefile project (./configure generates a bunch of makefiles).
I used the following make command to spread build between my 4 cores, leaving one to handle everything else when a build is running:
make -j 3
This was set in Eclipse in Project>C/C++ Build>Builder Settings